|Builder||Krauss Locomotive Works, Munich, Germany.|
|Cylinders||210 x 300|
|Mill First Used at in Mackay||North Eton|
|ID Number or Name||"DULCE", "No. 5"|
|Fate||In Storage by Private owner in Narangba Brisbane.|
Built for the New South Wales of Public Works for construction of the Burrinjuck Dam. It was nicknamed "Dulce." Ownership transferred to the New South Wales Water Conservation & Irrigation Commission in 1913 and it was still based at Burrinjuck Dam. The loco operated with three other engines "Jack", "Archie" and "Robin" on the Goondah to Burrinjuck railway from 1907 to 1910. "Dulce" was named after one of the daughters of the surveyor, C. R. Cunningham who surveyed the railway line. The loco was reconditioned in the Clyde Engineering workshops in Granville, Sydney in 1920.
In 1928 it was advertised for sale with merchants, E. Sloman in Sydney. In 1929 it was sold to North Eton Mill and renumbered "no. 5." In 1937 it was rebuilt to a 0-6-0T configuration. A new boiler was fitted in 1950 and remained in service until it was written off on 13 May 1964 and stored at north Eton Mill.
In 1970 it was sold off to Ron Aubrey in Forest Glen, QLD for a planned Pioneer Transport Museum which never eventuated. In 1973 it was sold to the Seal Park Zoo & Koala Park in Buderim. It was then sold in 1982 to Even Morris at Kin Kin until in 1988 it was purchased by Graham Chapman in Kallangur. It is currently located in Narangba.
"Dulce" in workshops of Clyde engineering Company in Granville Sydney 1920.
(courtesy Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences)
Krauss No.5 at North Eton Sugar Mill on 29 September 1963. (John Browning Collection)
North Eton Mill No.5 lies derelict at the Mill. (Weston Langford Collection no. 108235, 3 November 1966)
Browning, John, various
Photograph of a steam locomotive, 'Dulce'
Collection.maas.museum. (2019). Photograph of a steam locomotive, 'Dulce'. [online] Available at: https://collection.maas.museum/object/373408 [Accessed 31 Oct. 2019].