Year Built 1898
Builder Hudswell Clarke and Company Limited, Hunslet, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom.
Wheel Type 0-6-ST
Works Number 496
Cylinders 8 1/2 x 12
Mill First Used at in Mackay North Eton
ID Number or Name "WARREGO", "No.1", "IRONSIDE"
Fate Privately owned at Numurkah
History

Was purchased in 1898 by the Double Peak Central Sugar Co. Ltd to service the Mia Mia Line to North Eton Mill.  It was named the "Warrego". It was then taken over by the North Eton mill in 1912 and was renamed "Ironside." A new boiler was fitted in 1913. It was the first steam locomotive to replaced by Diesel at North Eton Mill in 1962.

In 1964 it was moved to Rockhampton and was plinthed in a park at Port Curtis Junction. By 1986 it had been removed by the Rockhampton City Council and placed in storage.

It was sold to a private owner in 1987. In the 1990's was owned by the Kele Family in Rockhampton. In 1994 was purchased by Roy Odgers in Echuca, Victoria.

 

No.1 Hudswell Clarke with a load of Cane. Circa 1900

(Courtesy John Browning, Cane trains and Locomotives of the Mirani Shire)

The Hudswell Clarke plinthed in the Port Curtis Junction Park, circa 1983.

 (courtesy Killamarsh Chronicle, Issue 38, March 2017)

References Browning, John, various Emails.
 
Australiansteam.com. (2019). Preserved Steam Locomotives Down Under - Hudswell Clarke 496. [online] Available at: http://www.australiansteam.com/hc496.htm  [Accessed 2 Feb. 2019].

Browning, J. (1993). Cane tramways and locomotives of the Mirani Shire. Mirani, Qld.: Mirani Shire Council.
 

Browning, J. (2011). Preserved Australian sugar cane locomotives. [online] Lrrsa.org.au. Available at: http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_SGRc.htm [Accessed 2 Feb. 2019].


If any changes are required for the above information please contact us by email.
  Glen Hall


 |  

   |


Glen Hall 2001-2019.
Page created 02 February 2019
last updated 31 October 2019 .
Site maintained by Glen Hall