|Builder||Hunslet Engine Company, Hunslet Leeds, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom.|
|Cylinders||9 1/2 x 12|
|Mill First Used at in Mackay||Cattle Creek|
|ID Number or Name||"WD 333", "No. 1", "Trilby"|
Formerly a former British War Department Light Rail surplus locomotive, it was built in 1916 to service the trenches along the Western Front in World War 1. It was still in France in 1923.
The loco was bought by Hunslet Engine co. in 1924 and rebuilt. The tyres were moved out and a new brake block installed.
It was purchased by the Engineering Supply company of Australia (ESCA) in Brisbane in 1920. It was then purchased by the Wilson's Paddock Tramway Company in 1928 . Transferred to the Cattle Creek Mill it was known as "No.1" or "Trilby." A new boiler was installed in 1948 and the loco was used until 1961. It was scrapped in 1963.
"Trilby" at Cattle Creek sugar Mill in 1948 (Top Mill in the Valley, Andy Hardy collection, courtesy D.J. Mewes)
Browning, J. (1993). Cane tramways and locomotives of the Mirani Shire. Mirani, Qld.: Mirani Shire Council.
Kerr, J. (1991). Top Mill in the valley. 1st ed. Brisbane, Qld.: Mackay Sugar Co-operative Association Ltd.